Sunday, March 18, 2012

Can You Find True Love Through Internet Dating?




If you have ever tried any of the internet dating sites you may have had some interesting encounters. This article is just my opinion and from my experience so far.

First and foremost, I have not found a dating site that is completely free, so be expected to fork over some type of money if you want to be able to use all of the sites bells and whistles. You can sign up as a free or basic member, but then you may only be able to send and receive one message, wink or just view other members. You will have to sign up for this basic membership by completing a profile and uploading a photo. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with these sites asking for a fee for complete usage, but sometimes, even if they offer a monthly fee, you are billed a one time fee for the number of months you want to be a member. These one time fees can be quite pricey, so be forewarned. While it may be worthwhile, if you find a site you like, to fork over the usage fee(s), for those of use on limited budgets it is still too expensive.

In my experience, many of the men, not all, are very quick to start with the sexual innuendos or are extremely blatant about what they like and if you have a similar like or fetish. While this type of "pick up" might work for some women (really?), it definitely was a turn off for me. Also, beware of the webcam invite or share, they usually want to show off their goods and hope you will share yours. Again, for me this is a big turn off. Maybe someone can explain this approach to me, because I really don't see how it can get a man a lot of dates. But then, maybe they are just looking for a sexual partner.

I'm not saying that you cannot find "the one" through internet dating sites. I'm sure we have all seen the commercials about eHarmony and they by far have the most extensive profiling, so you have a better chance of finding someone who will really match your profile. There are many couples who have found each other through internet dating sites and have subsequently have wed.

In summary, if you are going to use an internet dating site, great, but check them out before you do so. Also, be very careful of how much information you give out about yourself at first. Wait until you have communicated via e-mail or phone several times, then meet up (preferably in a public place). Even if during the first meeting, or the second, you feel that you may have found "the one," please date for at least a year before you jump into either living together or getting married. Of course, unless the two of you have covered every like and dislike and have played "what if" scenarios and you think that this person is the one you want to be with until death do you part, congratulations.

I thought that I had found "the one" through a dating site 10 years ago, turns out that I didn't know everything I should have, or I was in too big of a rush, and now we are divorced. Circumstances in life can make someone change. But, frankly, I did not know him well enough or realize that maybe I should have taken a much longer time getting to know him before I made the big leap.

So, for those of you who are searching for love over the internet, be careful and choose carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive